After the TREAD Act was mandated in 2007, all vehicles manufactured in the United States beginning in 2008, must be installed with direct or indirect TPMS systems.
The Cadillac CTS uses a direct TPMS system, which means TPMS sensors are installed in the wheel. If one or more tires indicate low tire pressure, the TPMS sensors will transfer the information to the vehicle’s ECU. An indicator light (low-line TPMS system) or each tire pressure will show on the dash (high-line TPMS system).
When a sensor is replaced in one or more tires of a Cadillac CTS, an OBD TPMS relearn is recommended to write the IDs to the vehicle’s ECU.
Type of TPMS system:
- Direct TPMS, sensors are installed in the wheel
- All OE and aftermarket TPMS part numbers and service kit replacement options for the Cadillac CTS can be found in the VT56, VT55, and VT36 TPMS Tools in “Service TPMS”.
Type of TPMS frequency:
- 315 MHz
Type of Relearn procedures:
- Bonus OBD relearn procedure coverage as an option on the VT56 requires OBD module (for years 2008-2020)
- Manual (stationary) relearn (for years 2001-2020)
Type of TPMS tool required for TPMS reset
- TPMS scan tool with OBD module (VT56, VT46 brands)
- TPMS activation tool combined with a Diagnostic Scan Tool (VT15, VT31, VT36, VT46 branded tools)
OBD relearn procedure, years 2005-2017:
- OBDII dongle is required
- Confirm TPMS sensors are properly installed
- Adjust tire pressures to placard value
- Hold TPMS tool on left front tire sidewall next to the valve stem
- Repeat for the right front, right rear and left rear tires
- Apply OBD module to the DLC
- Turn ignition ON
- Press OK on TPMS tool to transfer sensor data to the ECU
- Disconnect OBD module from DLC
- Turn ignition OFF, then ON
- Drive for at least 5 minutes at 28mph
The video above shows a GMC Acadia, but the same procedure will work on a Cadillac CTS.
Manual (stationary) relearn procedure, years 2004-2020:
- Inflate all tires
- Apply parking brake
- Turn ignition ON
- Push the MENU button to select Vehicle Information in DIC
- Use arrow keys to select Tire Pressure
- Push SET/CLR button to start sensor matching
- Push SET/CLR button to select YES
- Horn chirps 2x DIC displays TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE
- Use tool to activate LF sensor
- Single horn sounds
- Repeat for RF/RR/LR
- Horn chirps 2x for relearn complete
TIP: Lowering driver’s side window may help to complete this process on larger vehicles.
System Fault Issues
If a system fault is detected, the TPM Telltale Light will flash on and off for 75 seconds and then remain on solid. The system’s fault will also sound a chime. If the ignition switch is cycled, this sequence will repeat, providing the system fault still exists. The TPM Telltale Light will turn off when the fault condition no longer exists. A system fault can occur due to any of the following:
- Signal interference due to electronic devices or driving next to facilities emitting the same radio frequencies as the TPM sensors.
- Installing aftermarket window tinting that contains materials that may block radio wave signals.
- Accumulation of snow or ice around the wheels or wheel housings.
- Using tire chains on the vehicle.
- Using wheels/tires not equipped with TPM sensors.
Use the VT56 or VT46 branded tools to change placard pressure for the Cadillac CTS (available for years 2008-2011 & 2014-2020) if upsizing tires/wheels, also when replacing with off-road tires or low-profile tires.
Please note: to determine appropriate placard pressure, always follow the tire load and inflation standards. Maintain the overall circumference to +/-3% of the original size, and the required load rating located on the manufacturing placard. Always refer to the vehicle’s owner’s manual for any specific safety advice regarding the application of replacement tires.
TPMS DTC code information
Use the VT56 to retrieve Cadillac TPMS DTC codes by selecting the “Service” icon. After selecting the Make, Model, and Year select the DTC code icon. Use the OBDII module to retrieve the Cadillac DTC TPMS information to diagnose and service the TPMS issues determined. Available for the Cadillac CTS for years 2008-2011 & 2014-2020 only.